Fancy yourself an adventurer eh? Good! You’re exactly who we’re looking for! We’re constantly on the hunt for powerful stories of adventure in any format; be it written, photographed or filmed. The most important thing that we look for isn’t a certain writing style, or type of adventure, but an inspiring quality. LeftRight Repeat is about sharing, it’s about making our readers want to step outside and take the world on. If you think you’ve got something to give to the adventure community that’s going to impact people’s lives, then you’re in the right place!
Be it written, photographed or filmed, we want to receive stories of all kinds of adventures. The adventure community is possibly one of the widest ranging communities in the world and so long as you’re conveying your adventure then there’s a place for you here. If you have an idea for something adventurous that you haven’t done yet let us know too: We can help, it’s what we do!
Please don’t send us complete manuscripts. We don’t have the time to read them fully instead please send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
– One paragraph explaining the premise of your adventure/story
– The first paragraph of your proposed story
– Any technical facts about your story, location, time of year, any specialist services/equipment used. (We need to fact check before we publish)
– We ask that all submissions come with high-quality photos. We want to see the story from your eyes rather than a stock photo. We do make exceptions if this isn’t possible. When emailing proposals please send low-res copies of your photos <1mb
– Any other relevant information or experiences, including any links to other stories/features/adventures
– Proposals must be for manuscripts in English and unpublished anywhere else.
If you take a look at LeftRight Repeat’s content you’ll see that we enjoy a huge variety of stories and therefore a wide range of writing styles. So as long as you’ve got a sense of adventure soaking the pages, we accept whatever style you have to offer. We want an awesome story, telling us about people, events, scenery and mind-sets in detail and making us wish we’d been there with you!
Being aware of what we’ve published in the last year is important, we don’t want to repeat the same story or feature, but if you feel you have a different spin on something then by all means propose it.
We like articles to be between 1,000 and 2,000 words, but won’t turn anything down based on length. We may ask you to instead focus more on smaller aspects of the adventure. We’d alway prefer to have 5 amazingly written pieces that make up one adventure, than your whole adventure to be squashed and poorly explained.
We want to spread adventure, we think we’ve made that clear, so please don’t be nervous to propose an adventure or a story that’s a bit out there. Although we are an adventure travel website, we hold no authority on what is and what isn’t adventure. If your proposal or manuscript isn’t accepted by us we will try to give you feedback.
As a rule we create gallery’s showcasing roughly 30 photos per photographer. When submitting a proposal please email 5 low-res photos to email@example.com along with:
– A paragraph explaining where the photos were taken and the story behind them
– Any technical facts about the photos, time of year, location, any challenges in getting the photos and the equipment used
– Links to any social media pages or websites exhibiting your work.
– If you feel it’s relevant please include any experience you have with links to other galleries and your own work
– Photographs must be unpublished anywhere else with the exception of the photographers personal website
We love all kinds of adventure, and although most of what we see and accept falls under the category of ‘travel photography’ this is by no means all we look for. If you as an artist and an adventurer, have gone out and captured something that you feel is worth sharing, from people to places, architecture to textiles, we want to see it! There is no limit on what adventure can be, and as long as you can justify why it’s adventurous, we believe you! So show us your style and let us spread it. We ask that any photos submitted have a small watermark with the artist’s name/logo in either the bottom right or bottom left of the photo.
Often we ask that we can publish an interview with our photographers because although a picture may paint a thousand words, the most important words come from the horses mouth, and that’s you. These are usually conducted by one of our editorial team via Skype. Please include in your proposal if you are not comfortable with this.
As part of our attempt to let the world know what we’re doing, we love to publish photography on our social media. This may include photos which have not been published on our site but have been submitted. When publishing on social media we ensure that all credit is given to the photographer, just as if we were promoting a written article. Please let us know how you would want us to promote your work, through instagram, facebook, your own portfolio site etc. Also let us know if you aren’t comfortable with this.
The greatest thing we can do is help you get out there on an adventure, so if you have an idea, no matter what size or scope, let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with the following:
– A paragraph describing your adventure proposal including: methods of transport, distance (if applicable), timescale, location
– A paragraph describing why: what is the motivating factor for you doing this, what do you hope to achieve, are you raising money for charity?
– Any relevant experience with links to other adventures (bear in mind that it is by no means a pre-requisite that you have any experience whatsoever)
– What you need from us, i.e. help planning you adventure, help finding funding and receiving discounts; anything from advice to hands on requests
– Proposals must be for original adventures that are not affiliated to any other organisation
We work tirelessly with our contributors to produce exciting, interesting and wonderful stories and experiences. We therefore ask that other websites and publications respect our content by not cloning any published material without expressed permission from LeftRight Repeat. Featuring LeftRight Repeat-edited content is strictly forbidden. We ask that all work first published by LeftRight Repeat is credited as such with a link to the original page. We are in this to bring adventure to the world, please treat us with the same respect we treat adventure.